Sheridan's Reviews > The Girl's Guide to Homelessness: A Memoir

Feb 26, 12

bookshelves: memoir-biography
Read in February, 2012

Where to begin...

First, the girl can write. I thought she was clear and concise and when she defends her position on various arguments she does it well.

That said, I expected (and wished there were) more information about homelessness and her daily experiences. There is SOME really interesting stuff, but most of the book details her relationship. At times I became a little tired of it, but the ending reads like a really bad train wreck - one you just can't look away from. I truly couldn't put it down.

The first part of the book tells of her disfunctional family and upbringing in the Jehovah's Witnesses. I found the background of her religious upbringing extremely interesting, but read it with a grain of salt, knowing that former disaffected members of any religion can say things skewed by anger and bitterness (I admit that I don't know enough about the Witnessess to know if this was the case or not, but chose to read cautiously nonetheless). As for her family, I couldn't decide if I was more appalled by her father or her mother. Either way, the girl deserves an award for her generally positive outlook on life and spirit of resilience! That and her engaging writing make the book worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl's Guide to Homelessness.