Harold Smithson (Suicide punishable by Death)'s Reviews > Bone: Quest for the Spark, Vol. 1

Bone by Tom Sniegoski

M_50x66
The letdown of letdowns

Let me make this clear: I do not hate this book nearly as much as I hate some others. But... man was this underwhelming. I don't usually ditch my "critic" attitude whilst critiquing a book, but I just have to in this case.

The original Bone graphic novels were a large part of my literary life at one point. So when I heard about this book, I jumped for joy. I read it and was left with a sense of disappointment. The book was simply not good. The characters were not nearly as memorable as the original cast, the story was not as good, and the writing was not that good. I liked the drawings by Jeff Smith, but that's all I came away with that was positive.

I guess you could say that this isn't so much a legitimately bad book as it is an underwhelming one. I understand that it targeted a younger audience than the graphic novels, but stick to your fan base! Of course fans of the graphic novels will buy these books. It's not as if you are making a new series, you need to give some thought to the people who have been anticipating a sequel for a while. This book is simply a flop to anyone who liked the graphic novels.

But, if you're around 8 or 9 years old, I guess it would be better for you to read this book than the graphic novels, as some of the later graphic novels are maybe a bit too dark for that age group. Just make sure to read the graphic novels when you get older.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bone.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dinesh Etukuru I really want to read this series so much. I read the last normal bone series. I really liked it so much. I wanted to read this series too.

Harold Smithson (Suicide punishable by Death) Dinesh wrote: "I really want to read this series so much. I read the last normal bone series. I really liked it so much. I wanted to read this series too."

You can try it if you really want to. It's not as good as the normal series, but maybe you'll like it more than I did.

message 3: by Student (new) - added it

Student Fuck you it was great!!