Harold Smithson (Suicide punishable by Death)'s Reviews > Bone: Quest for the Spark, Vol. 1

Bone by Tom Sniegoski

M 50x66
Feb 26, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: children

(edited because I wrote the first review when I was in high school)

Jeff Smith's bone is a comic series that I consider to be the best modern epic fantasy series, and arguably the only good one. I found it during my childhood and was hooked since. I reread part of the series in order to see if it was simply childhood ignorance that made the series so good, and I discovered that, though the series was not quite the masterpiece I had previously thought it was the comic was still good.

I had finished reading the comic and, like any dedicated fan, I wanted more. I checked out some of the side works but none of them were quite as good as the main series. I picked this up up hoping that it would fill my desire for more. I suppose that it did in the sense that it killed any longing I had to see the series continue.

The plot is a rehash of the main series without any of the mysteries that made the comic so compelling. The humor is worse, as is the dialogue and the characters. Jeff Smith's art turns up here and there but it's deeply missed whenever Sniegoski's prose takes center stage. Said prose is flat, making even the most theoretically exciting scenes boring. It attempts to mimic the action and slapstick comedy of Bone's early issues, but those worked because Bone was a part of a visual medium. Lacking the art necessary to pull it off, even to my child self the book came off as eye-rolling and corny.

Now that I'm older I understand more about how the publishing industry works, so I now see Quest for the Spark as an attempt to sell more books to children using brand-name recognition. It's a soulless cash-grab and it really shows.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bone.

09/02/2016 marked as: read

Dinesh Etukuru I really want to read this series so much. I read the last normal bone series. I really liked it so much. I wanted to read this series too.

Harold Smithson (Suicide punishable by Death) Dinesh wrote: "I really want to read this series so much. I read the last normal bone series. I really liked it so much. I wanted to read this series too."

You can try it if you really want to. It's not as good as the normal series, but maybe you'll like it more than I did.

message 3: by Student (new) - added it

Student Fuck you it was great!!

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Good review. I read the first bit of this book and it's definitely for a young audience while the comics are great because they can appeal to all ages.