Jill's Reviews > Catch Me

Catch Me by Lisa Gardner

Feb 26, 2012

liked it
Read from February 20 to 25, 2012

Having been a fan of Lisa Gardner for years, I was eagerly awaiting this latest release. As I read the prologue, and then the first chapter, I wasn't so sure that it was going to hold my interest. I need not have worried, as it held my interest, kept me up past bedtime and kept me scratching my head and guessing for a good while. That said, it is not her best. It's a fun read, but the plot is a little too filled with unlikely coincidences and turns that are a stretch for even the best imagination.

The prologue opens with two little girls being raised by a seriously insane and abusive mother. Something happens, but we aren't clear what happened or to whom. Switch to Gardner's long-time heroine, Boston PD Detective DD Warren who is trying to solve a string of murders of pedophiles. One of the little girls from the prologue is now grown up and living in Boston, though it took me a while to understand which of the girls it was. No, I'm not telling you ... you have to figure it out for yourself. Also, this girl's two best friends have been murdered, both on January 21st at 8:00 p.m., one a year ago and the other two years ago. Now this girl, Charlene Rosalind Carter Grant, believes she will be murdered in the same fashion this year on January 21st, which is but a few days away. Charlene (Charlie) contacts Det. Warren, not to have her try to stop the murder, but to ask her to solve it once she (Charlie) is dead. And so begins the fun. The various story lines DO actually tie together and you should be able to figure most of it out around the 75% mark. The information about pedophiles and their tactics for luring young children was definitely NOT fun, but was certainly an eye-opener. Something we all need to think about and be aware of.

Though I have only given this book a 3-star rating, make no mistake ... it is a fun and enjoyable read, just not the best of Gardner's work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch Me.