MJ Nicholls's Reviews > Belching Out the Devil: Global Adventures with Coca-Cola

Belching Out the Devil by Mark     Thomas

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, sassysassenachs
Read from February 26 to 27, 2012

There seems to be a trend now for our favourite tooth-rotting products to be made by duplicitous irresponsible prickheads—the happy world of Haribo (child labour, quelle surprise), our old favourite Nestlé, and Coca-Cola, the sugariest sickliest dentist’s favourite. So, from this excellent book, ten reasons to boycott Coca-Cola. 1) They are lying hucksters who hide behind lawyers, every inch the cartoon criminal multinational. 2) They contract out to people who use child labour on their sugar plantations, then shirk all responsibility. 3) They drain the surrounding water from depleted reservoirs and leave local communities to die of drought. 4) They hate trade union movements and love exploiting workers, and shirk responsibility for violent resistance. 5) They bully shopkeepers into stocking their product then sabotage rival drinks. 6) Their marketing department are tasteless buffoons who peddle sickly bullshit sentiments to control the marketplace by tattooing their ugly logo on every square inch of the globe. 7) Their drink is a tooth-rotting, sickly, syrupy, stomach-churning gloop and I would rather imbibe donkey’s piss. 8) Coca-Cola are concerned solely with global domination and maximum profits, no more, no less, and everything else they say is meaningless rhetoric, to the effect: “Buy Coca-Cola now. None of your business how we make it.” 9) I hate Coca-Cola. 10) Don’t believe their lies. Mark Thomas is my hero.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Belching Out the Devil.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard I'll bet this is the biggest case of moral burpitude ever!

message 2: by MJ (last edited Feb 27, 2012 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls IOU one pun in reply. Or a coke. Your call.

message 3: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Here's my canned laughter. Good one.

message 4: by Richard (new)

Richard If you could upload a video of yourself reciting a pun whilst drinking a coke and possibly belching, that would be all kinds of awesome. But if I have to choose just one, I'll take the pun, as I am well supplied with the bottle that cheers and fizzes but does not inebriate.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Does this go into their oppressive adventures in Bolivia, when they privatized all the water, including rainwater?

message 6: by MJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls Joshua Nomen-Mutatio wrote: "Does this go into their oppressive adventures in Bolivia, when they privatized all the water, including rainwater?"

He doesn't go to Bolivia, but a similar case is described in India—privatising rainwater is obviously a recent brainwave.

message 7: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Feb 27, 2012 04:06PM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I believe the Bechtel corporation was acting on behalf of Coca-Cola in this instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw5Fon...

And: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Coc...

message 8: by MJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls That is certainly one of the most horrendous stupidities I've heard about this week. Perhaps they can carve the World Bank logo into the clouds?

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio MJ wrote: "That is certainly one of the most horrendous stupidities I've heard about this week. Perhaps they can carve the World Bank logo into the clouds?"

There's a Evil Corporate Monster in that documentary who sincerely asserts that he wishes for every square inch of the planet to be privately owned, including airspace. Because then it will all be "protected". Riiiiight.

It's a great documentary. It really opened my eyes up to some things back in college when I first saw it. It can be found in its entirety online with a quick search. It's simply called The Corporation.

Steven "Coca-Cola are concerned solely with global domination and maximum profits, no more, no less, and everything else they say is meaningless rhetoric, to the effect: “Buy Coca-Cola now. None of your business how we make it.” 9) I hate Coca-Cola. 10) Don’t believe their lies. Mark Thomas is my hero."

Hear, hear!

message 11: by MJ (last edited Feb 28, 2012 03:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls Thanks, Joshua (or is the abbreviated Josh acceptable?), looks interesting. Shame the narrator seems bombed on Prozac.

Steven: Thanks for the book! Very enjoyable. And parts of it were travel writing so you have read that genre. Partly.

message 12: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie any thoughts about coca leaf farmers? 100 metric tons of dried coca leaf are imported each year & a company called Stepan makes the leaves cocaine-free, then sold to Coca Cola (the fun ingredient goes to a pharmaceutical firm for medicinal purposes)

if we use sugar, chocolate, tea, coffee, bananas, wear cheap clothing, and god knows what else which comes to us from another's poorly paid labour, why boycott just one company

message 13: by MJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls Some of the leaf collectors in Colombia were detected as child labourers. Parents have to put their kids to work illegally because the workers had their unions destroyed by paramilitary thugs (why would they crush the unions unless Coca-Cola paid them to do so?) and CC pay them the bare minimum since they have no rights.

message 14: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie MJ wrote: "Some of the leaf collectors in Colombia were detected as child labourers. Parents have to put their kids to work illegally because the workers had their unions destroyed by paramilitary thugs (why ..."

that is not surprising

It is possible these days to investigate multinationals ethical policies and make judgements from product-to-product, only time-consuming. "

I guess one should check out the products they use the most.

Guinness seems ok...

message 15: by MJ (last edited Feb 29, 2012 01:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls The Guinness is on Bonnie! Quick, before she changes her mind.

message 16: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie ok guinness for everyone - but seriously a badd idea - it's got me to posting pics of evil dictators and crying about my long deadddddddd cat
mobutu