Christina (A Reader of Fictions)'s Reviews > Memento Nora

Memento Nora by Angie Smibert

Feb 28, 12

Read from February 26 to 28, 2012

The dystopian world in which Memento Nora is set is not too different from the world of today. The technology, aside from the pills and phones with even better technology, does not seem to far out of the realm of today's capabilities. This one reminds me most of Uglies, because of the slang, and Little Brother for the contemporary setting.

My favorite thing about Memento Nora was the focus on comics, and the power the written word can have. I love that the teens are creating this comic strip to help remember, to make a difference in their little community. Creating a newspaper or a pamphlet is an age-old method of rebellion. Here, it's just been moved into new methods.

The characters were pretty decent. I really liked getting to see from perspectives of Nora, Micah and Winter. However, it would have been nice to have their sections be a bit more balanced. Most of the chapters are from Nora's POV, even though she does the least from the comic-making perspective.

Given the short duration of the book and the pretty easy languages, this would be a good title for middle grade or reluctant readers, especially those into art. I am certainly looking forward to the sequel, The Forgetting Curve, which will be published by Marshall Cavendish this May.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memento Nora.