Deb Tyo's Reviews > The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce

Jun 19, 15

bookshelves: picture-book, mentor-text

Must. Have. This. Book.

My students are writing their own versions of The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore.

I started by showing my students the first couple minutes of the short film that is based on this book. The students then began writing their story. Each day since, I have played a bit more of the film for the students. After each section, they continued their own story. I cannot wait for the students to complete their stories and share them. Each is incredibly unique and amazing.
28 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore.

06/19/2015 marked as: read

Bonnie Love this idea. What grade are you working with? I'm a k-5 librarian and would love to bring this to some of my classes in collaboration with their classroom teachers.

message 2: by Deb (new) - added it

Deb Tyo Bonnie - I teach sixth graders. I also had one class of seventh graders this year. I had all of them do this. (Hazard - Whenever we hear the tune of "Pop Goes the Weasel", we now think of Mr. Morris Lessmore!! It's a good hazard!) :)

Ashleigh Hi Deb! Thanks for your review and lesson idea :) I'm sitting in the bookstore right now with that one in my stack along with The Mysteries of Harris Burdick and seriously, if you like to do creative writing assignments with the Fantastic Flying Books, you'll love this book, too. Just trust me, next time you're at B&N, pick this one up!

message 5: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Bevilacqua Dear Deb, wonderful idea! My name is Giulia, I am an Italian mature University student and I am writing my dissertation on the fantastic flying books of mr. morris lessmore. I really woul like to ask you a big favour: could you please send me some of your students stories which I could cite in my work? I did something similar with students aged 17th and 16th, during my trainee in a high school. Actually they watched the film and then discussed about it and answered 4 questions about it. I really appreciate if you could help me in this reagard.I sent you an email in September but maybe you have not read it yet.I hope you will accept, I wait for your feedback. Thanks, bye, Giulia

message 6: by Deb (new) - added it

Deb Tyo Oh my goodness, Giulia. I am very sorry that your last email slipped past me. I regret to say that I do not have any of the students' stories from 2012. If there is any other way I could be of help, please let me know.

message 7: by Deb (new) - added it

Deb Tyo Ashleigh - Yes! I love The Mysteries of Harris Burdick. I am fortunate to have the poster set for this book as well. Some of my students have used these illustrations as a resource for NaNoWriMo.

In addition, make sure you read The Chronicles of Harris Burdick: 14 Amazing Authors Tell the Tales. It would make a superb addition to your collection.

message 8: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Bevilacqua Deb wrote: "Oh my goodness, Giulia. I am very sorry that your last email slipped past me. I regret to say that I do not have any of the students' stories from 2012. If there is any other way I could be of help..."

Dear Deb. Thanks for replying me. It's a pity you do not have your students' stories about Morris Lessmore anymore (sorry for the play of words :-)). That could have been interesting to tackle. In any case you repeat the "experiment" with some other students, please let me know. Within middle of December I will have to complete my dissertationm in order to discuss it on February session. It is on the film, book and the two applications, and its possible use in a "teaching environment", such as schools. Thanks again, bye, Giulia