Ellyn's Reviews > The World We Found

The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar

Feb 26, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read in January, 2012

This novel tells the story of four women, Laleh, Armaiti, Kavita, and Nishta, who were close friends during their college years in 1970s Bombay, when they were student activists and idealists. Thirty years later, Armaiti, who married an American and lives in the United States, is diagnosed with a brain tumor and given six months to live, and the friends, who have largely lost touch, plan a reunion so that they can be together one last time. The book focuses on the weeks leading up to the reunion and on the way that Armaiti's diagnosis impacts each of them and causes them to reflect on the past and on the journeys they have traveled in the years since college. One of the main storylines is the challenges faced by Nishta, who is in a difficult marriage with one of their college friends who has become a conservative, fundamentalist Muslim. It's a fast and enjoyable read, and I felt like I really got to know each of the four women and their stories. The ending left some strings hanging, but I thought it was fitting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World We Found.