Peacha's Reviews > The Great Kate

The Great Kate by Susan Saunders

Feb 26, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: cliquey-pizza

As much as I love the Sleepover Friends - I felt this was the worst book in the series. ( check out full review on my site http://cliqueypizza.wordpress.com/) From the get-go it sabotages the action by having our the fab four attempting to bend spoons with the power of their minds - even Kate seems to slam the author for getting her mixed up with such malarky ,by bemoaning "I feel like an idiot." The plot becomes another mysticism is hogwash ( Kate's belief ) vs not all science can be explained ( everyone elses belief )argument involving an experiment based on the growth of plants. The plot has literally become the old adage of watching grass grow. Snoozers! To pull one over on the stuffy Kate , Stephanie plans to substitute the plant that Kate's been talking to with a bigger one, to prove they were right. But wouldn't that only prove that Kate is right - all magic is smoke and mirrors? Oh well. But when the plant appears even bigger than the one Stephanie replaced, the others instantly believe Kate has the power! The reader will more likely buy that Stephanie's missing rhinestone pin was found by Kate who decided to turn their trick around on them! I could forgive this plot if it had included some favorite SF traits which are sorely missing - a good pig-out , a Bullwinkle moment , a snide Jenny remark.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Kate.