Nancy Narma's Reviews > The Sometimes Daughter

The Sometimes Daughter by Sherri Wood Emmons

F 50x66
Feb 26, 2012

Read in February, 2012

“A Very Emotionally-Charged Volume You Should Not Miss!!”

I was hooked by the first sentence—“I was born at Woodstock”. And indeed, the beautiful baby girl was, as she arrived to the beat of “Crosby, Stills and Nash” on stage performing their tune; “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes”. As a matter of fact, the young lady was named “Sweet Judy Blue Eyes” by her hippie parents; Cassie Skylark and Kirk Webster. From the very start, Judy’s young life was filled with a “revolving door of personalities”, confusion, doubts, guilt and upset as well as being assured that she was indeed loved. This only intensified as she grew older and realized she was not like other children in her class and felt somewhat like an outcast with girls her own age until she met her best friend for life, Lee Ann Dawson. She could pour her heart and soul out to Lee Ann and eventually Lee Ann’s Mother; Mrs. Dawson; ( the “Mama” she wished she had,) in ways she couldn’t with her own Parents or Grandparents. Her Father is a workaholic, studying law and trying to give Judy some sort of normalcy in her life, while, in stark contrast, her fly-by-night Mother; Cassie, acts immature and selfish as a Wife and Mother and creates hurt and heartache for her growing Daughter and anyone who find themselves in a situation with her. Ms. Emmons handles such topics as the Jonestown Tragedy, abortion, unwed motherhood, the Baha’i Faith, love found and lost and the effects divorce has on the family unit quite handily. She has also written this novel in first person (which I thoroughly enjoyed) and it made the story that much more intense. Your stomach will churn with Judy’s. You’ll hold your breath in anticipation of the worst, gasp at revelations, and will be ready to shake some sense into not only Cassie, but a fast-maturing Judy as well. This is a very emotionally-charged volume. It takes a really good story to bring me to tears and this novel did just that—not once, but twice! Please make sure you add this to your “To-Be-Read” list. You will not be disappointed. I certainly wasn’t, and I look forward to reading the Author’s first book, “Prayers and Lies” as well as any future works. Thank-you Ms. Emmons…Excellent story, well told!!
Nancy Narma

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sometimes Daughter.