Eileen Granfors's Reviews > I, Iago

I, Iago by Nicole Galland

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: classic, families, friendship, highly-unusual, historical-fiction, marriage, men, psychological-thriller, updated-classics, war
Read from February 26 to March 03, 2012

Nicole Galland has accomplished what I was hoping to find in her novel, "I, Iago" unlike the previously published book by David Snodin, called "Iago." If you are looking for an answer to Iago's villainy, Galland provides more answers.

Iago narrates "I, Iago." We see him as the son with no appointed place in a highly structured Venetian society. Just when he decides to join the navy, he is sent to train to become a soldier. Soldiering agrees with him far more than he guessed it would.

Then he meets Emilia, whose character is fully developed in Galland's story. Emilia is witty, lovely, and in love. She finds Iago's blunt way with words rather charming. Like the other characters, she comes to call him "honest Iago."

Roderigo, Cassio, Othello, and the doomed Desdamona, all important to Shakespeare's play, are given strong roles in Galland's work. Othello's rages, seemingly at odds with his usual demeanor in the play, are foreshadowed early in the novel.

The wonder of this book lies in the dramatic irony. We know how the story ends. . .how will Galland bring the pieces together? She works in setting and townsfolk, the gentry of Venice, and the duplicity of Iago. He is a man who begins with a small lie that grows into murderous scheming. The psychosis of a friend, jealous beyond all reason, applies to both Iago and Othello.

This is a fine, rich book that delivers what has been promised by using a title character as well known and little understood as Iago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I, Iago.