Shannon 's Reviews > Forbidden

Forbidden by Syrie James

Feb 29, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read on February 26, 2012

I was a bit skeptical about this one because of the type of paranormal that it contains (I am purposely being vague to avoid spoilers) but I ended up really enjoying it. We get the story from 2 points of view which I don't always like but in this case it felt right. Claire is a main character that I actually really liked. She is smart and capable and not a ditzy damsel in distress. This book gets extra awesome points from me for giving Claire awesome friends! I get that sometimes friends in HS can be more like frienemies; but I am always glad to see a girl get a real group of great friends by her side.

Even though this book was just over 400 pages it felt like a quick and well paced read to me. I did read it in a day and never lost interest. I felt like we were given answers at almost the same rate as new questions were posed and that kept me turning pages. The school where the book is set sounds like a dream school to attend. The kids are almost all smart and high achievers. I'd like to think that I would have loved a high school like that but the truth is I was a slacker. I really liked how Claire's powers played out within the story. They were not overwhelming where it started to feel forced, her visions were well placed.

The story managed a good balance between realism and the supernatural. That is a balance that I think is sometimes underestimated in value. I personally do not like reading a book that has so much supernatural that the characters stop living in the real world and doing things they should be. Those moments keep a story grounded and relatable and that makes the supernatural easier to swallow. This book had that balance perfect. I am really excited to see what happens next in this series!

BOTTOM LINE: It surprised me how much I enjoyed this book, can’t wait to read more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden.