MAP's Reviews > First Comes Love, then Comes Malaria: How a Peace Corps Poster Boy Won My Heart and a Third World Adventure Changed My Life

First Comes Love, then Comes Malaria by Eve Brown-Waite

Feb 26, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: biographies-and-memoirs, non-fiction, other-cultures
Read from February 26 to March 03, 2012

This book is in the same vein as Maartin Troost's "Sex Lives of Cannibals" and "Getting Stoned with Savages." The book follows Eve from her post-college Peace Corp experience in South America, to Uganda with her husband and eventually baby via CARE.

To me, it just didn't live up the standards of Troost's books. I never really felt like I understood what day to day living was like there. People and situations seem to pop in and out throughout the book with the sense that they've been there all along but you haven't been hearing about them. For example, we didn't get a sense of what the wildlife around them was like until about 150 pages in, and even then it's only mentioned once, there's a whole chapter on bringing the cats to Uganda from the US and then they're only mentioned a couple more times throughout the book, and at the end when she's saying goodbye to everyone there were several people whose names I knew I'd seen but I couldn't remember exactly who they were, what role they'd played in her life, and why she was so distraught over leaving them. Now I'm not saying I'd want to read 100+ pages on housecats in Uganda, but a little bit of flow and continuity would have been nice. Sometimes it just felt like she forgot that we couldn't see through her eyes and know what was going on from day to day.

This was a perfectly fun book with some definite laugh out loud moments. But like I said, I read Troost's books first, and his just feel more effortlessly informative and funny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Comes Love, then Comes Malaria.

02/26/2012 page 12