Kalie Lyn's Reviews > No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late

No Touch Monkey! by Ayun Halliday

Feb 29, 12

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012
Read from February 26 to 29, 2012

After I finish a book, I usually ponder it for a day or two before I write its review. However, with No Touch Monkey by Ayun Halliday, my review was already written before I finished the first chapter. And it contained one repeatable word: outrageous.

I’ll be honest. This was my second attempt at reading this book. My first time was last year, and not being able to get into it after the first couple of pages, I gave up and tossed it aside. Yet, last week I picked it back up, agreeing to give it another try; I mean look at the cover! It called to me! I then realized that the problem the first time was not with the book at all. The problem had been with me.

I am a seasoned travelogue reader, but no other travel memoir has been able to captivate me, splitting my sides in the process, much like No Touch Monkey has. Ayun (wish I knew how it was pronounced!) Halliday writes with such vibrant personality, it is hard not to wish she was your best friend. Her witty anecdotes, good-natured blunt descriptions, and her seriously funny – often surprisingly random – experiences ranging from Bali to Amsterdam, makes this book unlike any other.

With all that said, I am disappointingly surprised to see so many bad reviews of this book on Goodreads – a site I trust a lot. True, this book does not contain as much information or history about the places she visits as much as it includes her travel antics, but that is one of the reasons why I feel in love with her stories. Halliday makes you want to jump off the couch and create your own wild experiences abroad, which is a huge aspect I look for in reading travelogues.

Simply put, No Touch Monkey is definitely outrageous: outrageously hilarious, outrageously entertaining, and you would be an outrageous fool not to read it.

Check out my other book reviews at: http://palmtreesbarefeet.wordpress.co...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Touch Monkey!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence I was intrigued by your review. More especially so since I have just completed my first memoir of my young family's tragic and comic misadventures in a remote part of Madagascar.