Jason's Reviews > Autumn: Purification

Mar 01, 2012

bookshelves: e-books, read-2012
Read from February 26 to March 01, 2012

4.5 Stars

"The balance of our world has been changed forever. Mankind is being cleansed from the face of the planet. Purification has begun."

Book 3 of David Moody's Autumn series comes to a well put together ending in this book Autumn: Purification. This is the final book of the main storyline even though there are two additional books in the Autumn world. The best aspect to this series is the consistency from one book to the next. This is not your everyday meat grinder zombie story where the heroes are all killing machines. This series main plot revolves around survival and coming to grips with loss. Loss of loved ones, of life's achievements, and of course loss of hope.

Michael, Emma, Cooper, Jack, Kelly, and Steven are all back in this final installment. The survivors from book two go through more trials and tribulations in their pursuit to try and find somewhere that they can be safe. A place where they can at least survive the new horrors of the world. They have all come to accept that they must outlast the decaying undead. Moody paints a bleak picture in this series and it is very easy to identify with this group of likable characters.

Moody's writing in this book is more polished, more descriptive, and down right just better written. He adds a great deal of feeling and emotion to this book with descriptive prose and also through implications of the unsaid as well. A good example of both is the following action scene:

"Ellis didn’t have time to think or speak, instead he concentrated on letting bullet after bullet fly into the rotting crowd. An unexpected arc of flame burnt through the air just ahead of him, illuminating the full horror of the scene for a few heart-stopping seconds. The twisted, grotesque faces of hundreds of corpses were suddenly exposed and Ellis found himself staring at them in disgust and revulsion, praying for the light to fade and the dark to return. The nearest corpses were less than ten metres ahead"

The corpses in this series, the undead, or zombies, are not like Romero's forever copied creepy shufflers. The undead in this series undergo a great number of changes, of which I will not add any spoilers by explaining what they are. These changes however, are mimiced and expressed in that of the survivors. I loved all the hidden truths and the gravity of the situation that our cast is exposed to and which they go through. Moody gives the reader a great deal to think about and to feel as this one comes to its conclusion.

The slow building of tension and danger of this book, coupled with the slow changes to the world and to the undead, after such an incredibly fast destruction gave this series an awesome feel. I really enjoyed these three books and am a fan of Moody's writing style and characterizations. To me, this series is a post apocapyltic must read. Great read.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autumn.

Jo Anne B Just finished the first book and really liked it. Your review makes me eager to read the next ones in the series! Great review Jason.