JoLene's Reviews > Defending Jacob

Defending Jacob by William Landay

Feb 26, 2012

bookshelves: rec-botns, library, group-read, read-2012, kindle, 5-stars
Read from May 20 to 24, 2012

On the surface, Defending Jacob is a legal drama about the murder of a boy in a small town, but underneath, it is a family drama. The story opens with Andy Barber, the Assistant DA of suburban Boston count on the stand for a grand jury. From there, the book progresses as a series of flashbacks. Barber begins the investigation into the murder of a 14 year old boy who happens to be a classmate of his son, Jacob. Soon evidence begins to trickle in that makes Jacob a subject.

Back in the 80's and early 90's, legal dramas were one of my favorite genres; I loved Grisham's early works as well as Richard North Patterson. This book took me back to those days of being so wrapped up in the story that I carried the book around the house with me. As mentioned, the family relationships are front and center in the story: fathers and sons and husband and wife dynamics are explored from several angles. It was also interesting for me to see how social media played a role in the investigations (something new since the 80's ;-). Although there were some predictable plot points, the family dynamics kept me interested.

If you like a good legal thriller, you might want to pick this one up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defending Jacob.