Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The President's Parasite

The President's Parasite by Jim Musgrave

Oct 19, 08

bookshelves: fiction, won-at-gr, gr-a, reviewed, short-stories
Recommended to Lisa by: those who appreciate avant-garde lit, the non-squeamish
Read in October, 2008

This book contains thirty short stories. I think I was probably not the best Goodreads member to win this book. While I was reading I thought that perhaps some men might enjoy this more as well as those whose taste runs to the avant-garde. I found myself getting depressed or repulsed at times, but was emotionally involved during certain stories.

One thing that drove me nuts (that has nothing to do with the stories themselves) was that throughout the entire book, both sides of the page had the book’s title, which is the title of the last story in the book; one side of the page I’d have liked to have seen the title of the current short story.

These stories are extremely dark and are about people living on the edge and often with despair. They’re drug addicts, alcoholics, prisoners, assassins etc. There’s a plethora of violence and kinky sex. Many are told first person and all are told from one character’s point of view. These characters are widely disparate. There are men and women and children, multi-racial and multi-cultural, etc. Somehow, the author pulls this off with a few exceptions.

I like to read dark books about people in difficult circumstances but with very few exceptions (often the children) I didn’t feel familiar with these characters, and there were a few I didn’t even slightly understand which is unusual for me.

I enjoyed the first three stories, the last four stories, and one or a couple in the middle. The other stories I either thought were just ok or thought that at least in part they were kind of a mess, but I’m the first to admit that my discomfort with some of the subject matter could have influenced my opinion. I wanted to win this book because of the title story: The President’s Parasite. As with many of the other stories I liked and disliked parts although I did think the premise of the story being told from the point of view of a parasite occupying a human was inspired, and interesting.

Readers who do not enjoy literature that contains sex and violence will not enjoy these stories. Those who like avant-garde and unusual literature will want to check out this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The President's Parasite.

10/04/2008 "Will read this as soon as I finish my book club book."
10/11/2008 page 19
6.35% "Wow, these are certainly matching my down mood."
10/11/2008 page 62
20.74% "These are dark and match my mood; they read like non-fiction."
10/14/2008 page 62
20.74% "Hopefully, I will finish this during the weekend."
10/17/2008 page 169
56.52% "I'm hoping to finish the stories this weekend."
10/18/2008 page 242
80.94% "I'm hoping to finish this book today."
10/18/2008 page 287
95.99% "I'm hoping to finish these stories today."
show 6 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan I have not actually received the book yet.

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Lisa, I'm jealous. I wanted this one.

Lisa Vegan Sandi, Yes, There was only one copy for the First Reads program. I feel very lucky; it looks so interesting. I'm still waiting for it.

Lisa Vegan I am still waiting....very eagerly...can't wait to read this...so appreciate winning it...

NOT YET RECEIVED

Lisa Vegan It finally arrived today! Thanks Jessica and Jim. I just started my next book club book, but even though I have library books out and others to arrive, I plan to read this when I've finished my book club book. I'm looking forward to it.