Mary's Reviews > If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period

If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period by Gennifer Choldenko

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: audio, tween
Recommended for: Tweens looking for realistic fic or problem novels
Read from February 26 to March 08, 2012

Kirsten and Walker, two students at a private school, tell this story in alternating chapters. Kirsten, a white girl from a privileged background, loses her best friend to the popular girls. Walker is the "new kid" and one of only three African-Americans at the school. Kirsten and Walker become friends, but that friendship is threatened when a secret comes to light. Even though I guessed the secret well before it came out, I think young readers will be surprised. This was a very good book with some stereotypical mean girls (as well as mean women). However, Kirsten and Walker - along with the other outsiders in their circle - are very likable. Most of the adults in the story were likable too. I was afraid that the teachers were going to be written as one-dimensional adults as often happens in kids' books, but they weren't. I would love to read more about these kids. Here's hoping for a sequel someday!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period.