Josh's Reviews > A Mighty Fortress

M_50x66
Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: hard-sci-fi, military-sci-fi
Read from February 26 to March 08, 2012

A strong 4th entry in the Safehold series. Some of the military/naval tactics sections make my eyes glaze over a bit and I do find myself scanning through those faster than is realistically possible for serious comprehension, but they haven't been excessive.

The integration of technology and expansion of the circle of people who know the truth about the world, the Church, and "Merlin" is particularly well-handled. Weber does a very good job of showing how even if you have advanced knowledge, you can't always put it into play immediately and effectively on a larger scale with frustrating time-lags. The Charisians are also realistic in dealing with deconstructing the lie of their Church in ways that account for the ways that a lie can take on a life of its own.

While the Group of Four remains an easy to hate villain, some subtlety is creeping in with decent people ending up on opposite sides of this conflict, reminding the reader that not everyone is the horrendous human being the High Inquisitor is. Additionally, the Charisians aren't as perfect in their execution, so while they remain easily rootable, their victories are coming at higher prices and losses are both more plausible and inevitable.

This has been a good series (and isn't nearly as anti-religious as it started out, I'd say). I'll be curious to see how far Weber plans to take it in mapping the entire destiny of the planet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Mighty Fortress.

02/27/2012 page 109