Savannah's Reviews > Retribution Falls

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding

Feb 28, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, friendship, librarybook, scifi, steampunk
Read from February 20 to 27, 2012

The cover quotes promise Robert Louis Stevenson and Patrick O'Brien and make heavy mention of the TV series Firefly and yeah, I can see it. Too bad it's not that good.

Or rather, too bad that there are not really any attractive characters in the large ensemble cast as they adventure along, characters you might want to have actually survive these adventures.

The story starts with adventure and rather unappealing folk and only gradually, as you ease into the middle of the book and start wondering if you still care to turn the pages, begins to drop in each backstory, one after another. Okay, that gets a bit better and the captain does get a bit of character development but, really? I just didn't care all that much.

So: all adventure, plenty of character differentiation, huge heaps of atmosphere, but just a total failure to get me to invest a great deal of care as to whether any of them make it through the plot or not.

I think I made an okay call putting it in the adult section, not that there's anything that I wouldn't hand over to teens as well.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Retribution Falls.