Jennifer's Reviews > Submission

Sep 10, 08

bookshelves: sexuality-and-gender, fiction-general, erotica
Recommended to Jennifer by: Shannon
Read in September, 2008

** spoiler alert ** oh where to start. I went through the entire continium of reactions to this book. First I found it hot, then it seriously angered me, back to hot, anger, disgust, then appreciation.

Let me elaborate. I found a couple of scenes intensely erotic, specifically the basement scene during the dinner party, but it went downhill from there. The swing parties and lesbian action just didn't do it for me. As far as HE goes, he may be a sadist but he is NOT a dom, or not a good one at least. This man is a glorified douchebag with some sexual prowess. Considering the title of the book, this seriously troubled me; the idea that it was being portrayed as a typical D/s relationship, until Elodie realizes her friend Lea and her husband are in a TRUE D/s relationship and actually notices the difference between them and the asshole she's worshipping as a God.

And then I started to relate to Elodie - a little too much. The way she craves him because he defies her sense of entitlement. The way she knows she can have anyone but him, therefore HAS to have him, even if just the slightst scrap of him. The way she describes giving everything even though he gives her NOTHING in return. And there, for me, was the point of this book. I've been in this relationship, more or less. And now I REALLY hate this guy. Really hate her for pointint it out to me, and really, really, really would like her to stop talking about how nobody else wound understand how incredibly refined and bouguise her submissive perversities are.

Even by the end she doesn't seem to realize that the only question is WHICH kink most people have, not whether or not they have them. Still, she did a really good job of taking me through her feelings, and giving an extreme illustration of douchebaggery which, if we're honest, most of us can relate to on some level.

I'd want to slap her for making me confront that particular demon, but I know she'd like it.

Last but definitely not least, but it seemed to me the beginning of His fall from God-status was when she saw him smiling and laughning on the boat. She notes that she'd never seen that side of him before. I really don't buy that she ended it because of what she did on the island, or his refusal to fuck her. I think the beginning of the end was when he appeared as a man to her instead of a God. As a man, his behavior is just a little pathetic. So ironically the douchebags downfall was showing a little true emotion.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Submission.