Celine's Reviews > Heart of Perdition

Heart of Perdition by Selah March

Mar 09, 12

bookshelves: short-stories, steampunk, mystery, paranormal, romance
Read on March 04, 2012

Heart of Perdition is another steampunk novella published by Carina Press, but this one had a different feel to it than for example Photographs & Phantoms or Like Clockwork. It's a bit darker, more Gothic novel than mystery. There are ancient curses and spooky settings. Although it is a romance, it did felt a little bit lighter on romance than the average Carina Press novel.

I loved the idea of this book. I was kind of amazed by how complex of a story Ms March was building. There was a lot of intrigue and tension, and I started wondering how she would tie all the ends up in such a short story. This is where the low rating comes in - she doesn't tie all the ends up. She doesn't tie a single one of them. There is no redemption, no solution, no confrontation. Just when I think something interesting is about to happen, I see the last sentence. "...To be continued".

Which was terribly lame. It just felt like the author couldn't come op with a handy solution to figure everything out, so she just stamped on a "to be continued" so no one could get angry about it. I've contacted the nice people at Carina Press and they told me that the second part in the series is being currently written, and it will probably release in 2013.

I would still be interested to read the sequel to Heart of Perdition, because I did like the feel of the story. But as a story itself, this was a bit disappointing.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Perdition.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by AH (new)

AH I was looking at this one on Netgalley and was intrigued until I saw your review. I'll wait.

Celine Maybe if you get into the book knowing that it ends on a cliffhanger, it's not that bad. But I was kind of taken by surprise by it, not in a good way

message 2: by AH (new)

AH No, cliffhangers tend to piss me off, especially if the sequel is far, far into the future.

Celine Hm okay, then you better stay clear of this one indeed (: