Catherine Mustread's Reviews > The Captive Heart

The Captive Heart by Bertrice Small

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: england, historical, 1400s, fiction
Read from February 26 to March 22, 2012

The sickly sweet language made me want to GAG and sex descriptions seemed more analytical than titillating. The history, which I wish had a more prominent role, is recounted in the beginning of the chapter and then the heavy romance takes over. A reminder that choosing a book by time period and setting does not necessarily indicate the book is worth reading. Also, the author recounts the plot frequently.

Graphic sex scenes could be used as a sex manual and the plot was predictable and highly repetitive. Bit of a twist at the end, but that seemed only a way of getting in a bit of bondage and sex as power/punishment. Not recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Captive Heart.

03/02/2012 page 77
19.0% "Historical romance set in England beginning in 1461 this is a bit heavy on the romance for my tastes. Also didn't realize until now it was part of a series, #3 in The Border Chronicles. I'll keep going and maybe go back and read the previous books later."
03/06/2012 page 178
43.0% "Some of the sickly sweet language makes me want to GAG and sex descriptions seem more analytical than titillating. The history, which I wish had a more prominent role, is recounted in the beginning of the chapter and then the heavy romance takes over. A reminder that choosing a book by time period and setting does not necessarily indicate the book is worth reading. Also, the author recounts the plot frequently."