Edina Rose's Reviews > Chulito

4520379
Feb 28, 12

bookshelves: friends-to-lovers, coming-of-age, classic-bet
Recommended to Edina by: Stanley Bennett Clay

OMG! This for all the Chulito and Carlos out there!!!

Incredibly realistic story about two teenagers from the Bronx, the little gangsta (Chulito) and the smart one who got to university (Carlos).

What can I say, this book made me think of the TV show The Wire. Just like The Wire, it feels authentic, real. Things are said without flourish, without embellishment. The author just puts thing out there for us to see, in a simple and powerful prose.

This is, apparently, how it was and maybe still is, to be a teenage gay boy in love in the Bronx. With happy ending.

I loved this book.

7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chulito.

02/27/2012
5.0% "Good beginning"

Lauraadriana E!! OMG that looks great!

Edina Rose So far it ROCKS!

Lauraadriana Edina wrote: "So far it ROCKS!"

OMG I have on my kindle already I AM ALL OVER IT tonight!

Edina Rose Hope you like it. I finished the book and I L.O.V.E.D it! Now I have in mind to try green banana with oliver oil and herbs. Seems very tasty!

Lauraadriana Edina wrote: "Hope you like it. I finished the book and I L.O.V.E.D it! Now I have in mind to try green banana with oliver oil and herbs. Seems very tasty!"

I haven't gotten to that, but I wonder if it's Mangu? Is it Mashed plantains? I could live on that stuff!

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Ooooh plantains! Oh man, do I love those things. I like 'em sweet and fried.

Edina Rose Ah! I'm gonna buy some plantain on my way back from picking the kids at school. I found the Mofongo recipe, may try it this w-e and let you know!

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Edina, if you found that you liked that gritty city feel then you should read some Donald Goines.

I was maybe 10 or 11 when I read my first book by Donald Goines and proceeded to devour every book of his that I could find. They're hardcore urban fiction and they are AMAZING.

I need to go add the ones I've read to my bookshelves.

Edina Rose Laddie wrote: "Edina, if you found that you liked that gritty city feel then you should read some Donald Goines.

Thanks for the rec. It seems like the guy does not romanticises his stories at all!

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Edina wrote: "Laddie wrote: "Edina, if you found that you liked that gritty city feel then you should read some Donald Goines.

I was maybe 10 or 11 when I read my first book by Donald Goines and..."

Nope, they're not romanticized at all but theyre great reads if you ever want a break from romance.

Edina Rose Lauraadriana wrote: "Edina wrote: "Hope you like it. I finished the book and I L.O.V.E.D it! Now I have in mind to try green banana with oliver oil and herbs. Seems very tasty!"

I haven't gotten to that, but I wonder ..."

I don't know. I just saw a reference to green banana with olive oil and herbs. But I've got Google. I'll find out!