Leanne Bell's Reviews > While I'm Still Myself

While I'm Still Myself by Jeremy Mark Lane

I'd like to thank Mr Lane for asking me to review his book and for being patient with my very busy work schedule and insane amount of books on my to-read list :)
Well, where to start! I really liked this collection of shorts and they will stick in my mind for a long time to come.

Mr Lane focuses on some sensitive topics including Racism, Drug addiction, Child abuse and Mental Illness and considering each story is limited to around 10 pages(ish) they have a certain depth to them, similar to that of a longer novel.
One story that particularly made me gasp was the story of the girl who runs away from home to live her life as much as she can as she's in fear of becoming mentally ill like her mother. The last paragraph stopped me cold with it's conclusion because despite my over-thinking brain, I simply never saw it coming and believe me, you probably won't either.

Each story was poignant in it's own way and I took something from each one. I think I'll definitely be looking out for more books by Jeremy Lane because there is no doubting that he is a skilled writer with the ability to write engaging and thoughtful stories without the need to babble. Genius.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read While I'm Still Myself.

02/26/2012 page 27