Lelia Taylor's Reviews > Homer's Odyssey: A Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned About Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat

Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper

Feb 26, 12

Homer’s Odyssey
Gwen Cooper
Read by Renee Raudman
Random House Audio, 2009
ISBN 0307704114
Unabridged Audio Book

A tiny homeless kitten is left with a veterinarian, a kitten with a terrible eye infection that could be successfully treated only be removing his eyes. Being blind is one thing; being eyeless is quite another and the vet faces a difficult time finding a home for this little creature. Then she introduces him to Gwen Cooper, a young woman with a love of animals, and a new life begins for the fluffball Cooper names Homer.

With Cooper‘s diligent help, Homer learns to maneuver in his sightless world, sharing space with two other cats and completely unaware that he has a disability. His infection had taken hold before his newborn eyes opened and he had never had vision. If you’ve never had sight, you don’t know what you’re missing and Homer sets out to conquer whatever hurdles he encounters. Along the way, he teaches Cooper and every other person who meets him a thing or two about living beyond one’s limitations.

Several weeks ago, I wrote about one episode in Homer’s life, his survival of the horror of 9/11 when Cooper was prevented from returning home to her pets. Cooper‘s telling of her experience during this terrible time and her fear for her cats struck a chord in me.

I enjoy animal tales and Homer’s Odyssey is a special example of how much an animal can affect our lives. Listening to the audio edition, I felt almost a part of this tiny cat’s life and I thank Ms. Cooper for sharing his story with us. He is a little guy I wish I could meet in person. Homer is now 13 years old and you can check in on him and his feline “sisters”, Vashti and Scarlett, at the author’s blog here—

(Note: click on the “Uncategorized” tag in any post to get to the older posts.)

A portion of the author’s royalties go to animal rescue organizations and the paperback will be available this Tuesday so you’ve got no excuse—buy the book and meet this wonderful cat!

Reviewed by Lelia Taylor, September 2010.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homer's Odyssey.