Jorelle's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

4912064
Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: epic-reads, dystopian, ya, borrowed
Read from March 07 to 15, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Jorelle Liked

Lauren Oliver
“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it”

Lauren Oliver
“You can't be happy unless you're unhappy sometimes".”

Lauren Oliver
“I'd rather die my way than live yours.”

Lauren Oliver
“I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: It will kill you and save you, both”

Lauren Oliver
“I run for I don't know how long. Hours, maybe, or days. Alex told me to run. So I run. You have to understand. I am no one special. I am just a single girl. I am five feet two inches tall and I am in-between in every way. But I have a secret. You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred thousand arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope,and without fear. I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side.”

Lauren Oliver
“Hate isn’t the most dangerous thing, he’d said. Indifference is.”

Lauren Oliver
“And now I know why they invented words for love, why they had to: It's the only thing that can come close to describing what I feel in that moment, the baffling mixture of pain and pleasure and fear and joy, all running sharply through me at once.”
tags: love

Lauren Oliver
“He who leaps for the sky may fall, it's true. But he may also fly.”

Lauren Oliver
“Mama, Mama, help me get home
I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.
I found me a werewolf, a nasty old mutt
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my gut.

Mama, Mama, help me get home
I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.
I was stopped by a vampire, a rotting old wreck
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my neck.

Mama, Mama, put me to bed
I won't make it home, I'm already half-dead.
I met an Invalid, and fell for his art
He showed me his smile, and went straight for my heart.

-From "A Child's Walk Home," Nursery Rhymes and Folk Tales”

Lauren Oliver
“Hearts are fragile things. That's why you have to be so careful.”

Lauren Oliver
“It's amazing how words can do that, just shred your insides apart. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me - such bullshit.”

Lauren Oliver
“I said, I prefer the ocean when it's gray. Or not really gray. A pale, in-between color. It reminds me of waiting for something good to happen.”

Lauren Oliver
“That's all I want. Just you and me. Always.”

Lauren Oliver
“Everyone is asleep. They've all been asleep for years. You seemed ... awake.' Alex is whispering now. He closes his eyes, opens them again.'I'm tired of sleeping.”

Lauren Oliver
“It's like a razor blade edging its way through my organs, shredding me, all I can think is: It will kill me, it will kill me, it will kill me. And I don't care.”

Lauren Oliver
“Everything looks beautiful. The Book of Shhh says that deliria alters your perception, disables your ability to reason clearly, impairs you from making sound judgments. But it does not tell you this: that love will turn the whole world into something greater than itself.”

Lauren Oliver
“Now I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.”
tags: love

Lauren Oliver
“It's the way he says my name: like music.”

Lauren Oliver
“No guy in his right mind would ever choose me when there are people like Hana in the world: It would be like settling for a stale cookie when what you really want is a big bowl of ice cream, whipped cream and cherries and chocolate sprinkles included.”

03/07/2012 page 207