Amo A's Reviews > The Kid

The Kid by Sapphire

Feb 26, 12

Read in February, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Worst. Book. Ever?
The Kid, which I had to FORCE myself to finish, gets zero stars. I'm stunned to discover it had an editor, the story was so bad. If I could be the editor now that it's published (inexplicably), here would be some of my notes:
1. Consider making at least one of the characters likable. Like maybe the main character.
2. Consider making at least one of the characters a non-cliche.
3. The kid's great-grandmother barely talks to him his whole life and then lays out her life story for him in 20 rambling pages? And he jacks off in the middle of it and the two of them just continue on like nothing happened? Really???
4. Number 3 isn't the only unbelievable thing about this story. You know the phrase "too much of a good thing"? Well the same goes for bad things. After a while, I stop buying all the horror.
5. Why, with the ballet kids? They're boring, and the whole section with them seems like name-dropping, only with cultural references instead of names.
6. The ending? WTF???
The only hope I have for this book is that it's so nonsensical and ridiculous because Sapphire was attempting to illustrate just how messed up a kid's brain and life can be when his father is also his mother's father. I'm pretty sure that's not what she was doing, since there's no insight even remotely close to that, but I want to believe there's SOME sort of justification for what I just read. Bleh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kid.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meka (new) - rated it 1 star

Meka I totally agree with your review.

message 2: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia Great review!! I could not agree more.

Wanda Yes, this was one of the worst books I've read in ever. The jacking off scene in the middle of great grandma's story put me over the edge.