Donovan's Reviews > Piercing the Darkness

Piercing the Darkness by Frank E. Peretti

Feb 25, 12

bookshelves: thriller, fantasy
Read in November, 1996

This is the second book and sequel to This Present Darkness and I found it to be as good if not better than the first. I need to point out it is heavily Christian in its content but don't let that put you off. Although I am not a Christian, I did find this to be quite a good read and was given to me (with This Present Darkness) while I was going through a particularly difficult period in my life. It provides an interesting and contemporary look at Angels & Demons in a setting that is quite believable. You don't need to have read the first book to enjoy this one although there are references in there.

Plot ***Spoilers***
It follows the journey of Sally Beth Roe as she tries to escape her past and slowly overcomes her constant struggle to discern the Truth.

Told in this story is the town of Bacon's Corner, and a resident named Tom Harris. His kids are ripped from his home by Child Services.
Seeming to have no connection with other events at first, a young police officer, Ben Cole, is convinced what is being brushed off as a suicide is actually a murder, and ends up losing his job over the issue... which brings him to the side of the embattled Christian school.
Caught in the crossfire is a little girl who's been forced into a curriculum of "meditation techniques" and "inner spiritual guides" that control her moods, attitudes, and actions, the little Amber Brandon, and her mother Lucy who realizes this lawsuit and the people who are "helping" her may be much, much more than she bargained for.

Before the paths that Sally Roe and Tom Harris [and the others] are on collide, the Ashton Clarion editor and his wife, Marshall and Kate Hogan, make a return appearance as veteran fighters in this war against the powers of darkness that threaten freedom of religion everywhere.

As the story unfolds, the lawsuit and its participants are soon locked in a struggle of ethics versus non-ethics, absolutes versus relativism, right versus wrong, and those with interest in this battle are shown to be even in the highest places of government.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Piercing the Darkness.