Qt's Reviews > The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

Aug 08, 08

bookshelves: drama, humor
Read in August, 2008

A perfect book for summer--charming, fun, and light, but with lots of heart! A highly pleasant tale of, as the title suggests, four sisters' vacation and ensuing adventures at a beautifully described cottage. Also, I listened to the audio version, read by Susan Denaker, and she did a wonderful job of giving each character a different voice, which no doubt added to the fun!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Penderwicks.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathryn Hooray! I hope you love it as much as I did. I want to start the sequel before I head back to work.

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann I'm so curious to know what you think of this Q!:)

message 3: by X (last edited Jul 28, 2008 02:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

X I'm glad I didn't steal it from you and take it to Red Lodge with me. :) You couldn't have started it then.

message 4: by Qt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Qt It's already great! Thanks for the recommendation!

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann I'm glad you are already enjoying the book, Q:)

Are you planning on reading it X???

message 6: by X (new) - rated it 4 stars

X I'm thinking of it, yes. :) It got such good reviews from you and Katie!

message 7: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Well, I hope you like it if you do.:)

Kathryn So happy to introduce everyone I can to the dear Penderwicks, some very darling rabbits and their so-very-cute owner, and the charm of Arundel!

Kathryn I'm really delighted that you enjoyed the story! :-) Did you read it, as well as listen to the audio version, or just the audio version? I loved how it was such a simple story, in a way, yet had so much emotion and interest and joy and passion-for-life in it!

message 10: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann I'm glad you liked this, Q!:D And I'm glad the audio version lives up to the book!:D

message 11: by Qt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Qt Yes, it was so good--thanks for recommending it! I just listened to the audio version; it was unabridged, and it was read very nicely--although I wasn't sure how to spell Arundel ;-) Great summer book! I'll be interested to hear how the sequel is when you've finished it.

message 12: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Well, I guess it sort of evens out, since I don't really know how to *say* Arundel! lol!!:D I guess "are-un-dell" ?

message 13: by Qt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Qt You guess right :-) With the accent on ARE. I liked how each of the sisters kind of had their own troubles and triumphs, in different ways--and how they were all quite different, yet all loved Arundel and Jeffrey and the whole location.

message 14: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Thanks! That makes reading the next book easier!;>

And yes, I thought that with the sisters, too. And, I was also impressed that I was equally interested in each sister's "plot" - I liked that the girls could all be different, and yet - like you said - have similarities in what they love and take and interest in:)

Kathryn FYI: I just saw that there is a third book in the series coming out in 2011. I don't know anything about it beyond the title "The Penderwicks at Point Mouette" (maybe they'll be in France?!)

message 16: by Qt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Qt Hey, neat! Thanks for the heads-up :-)