Adam's Reviews > Public Parts: How Sharing in the Digital Age is Revolutionizing Life, Business, and Society

Public Parts by Jeff Jarvis

M 50x66
Mar 14, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read from February 25 to March 14, 2012

I've been reading Jarvis for more than a decade, I think, on his blog and then twitter, and I've quoted him to journalism classes. So I knew what to expect here, but the explanation of the ideas -- many of which I think I've just internalized -- was still interesting. A few notes I made:

Hadn't heard his idea of us being atoms in society that reform our molecules.

"What's public is owned by us, the public" even if we do it as individuals Finan Times said "the streets belong to everyone and that means Google too"

"fame can be good" if earned. It's credit and recognition

An interesting take on how tech always has detractors: There were people who thought the printing press bad for authors. Compared a copy of verses in a cabinet to a sought-after virgin and a printed book a commie whore

Very interesting stuff that historically privacy didn't exist or was considered a bad thing. Now we supposedly strive for it.

Another interesting idea: futile to regulate gathering of info. More about regulating use. (As an analogy, someone at an interview can discern your gender/age but still is not allowed to discriminate)

Huffington says journalists have ADHD but folks online have OCD

Another interesting Idea that best buy sells ads -- space in circulars, placement in stores etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Public Parts.