Kathleen Hagen's Reviews > The Lemur

F_50x66
Jul 27, 08

bookshelves: 2008-mysteries-suspense, 2008-audio-books
Read in July, 2008

The Lemur, by Benjamin Black, AKA John Danville, c-plus, narrated by John Keating, produced by Macmillan Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

I gave this book a low score because, first of all I was teed off that I bought it at all. I thought it was the third one in the Christine Falls series. Instead, it is a strange little story about a man, John Glass, a has-been journalist married to Louise, a billionaire’s daughter. John is hired to write the biography of his father-in-law’s life, a long way from the kind of writing he used to do. He hired someone who was pointed out to him to be a good researcher. When he meets him, he’s a fairly unpleasant character reminding John of a “Lemur” which he thinks is a rodent of some kind. His mistress, Allison tells him “lemur” means ghost. AT any rate, the researcher within one week finds out some fairly dicey stuff, and tries to blackmail John into sharing his fee for writing the book for the knowledge. John puts him off, and later in the day the lemur is murdered. John makes it a point to find out why and how it happened. And there the story ends. We don’t know if John turned over the information to anyone, if he himself was in danger of being murdered because he had the knowledge, or anything else. Unsatisfying in all respects, but still so well written I had to give it a C-plus.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lemur.