Marshall's Reviews > Test Driven Development: By Example

Test Driven Development by Kent Beck

Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, technology
Read from February 25 to March 07, 2012, read count: 1

Such a wonderfully written book on Test-Driven Development (TDD). It walks through several easy-to-follow examples, and then wraps up with a nice discussion of TDD and some of the patterns that show up during this style of development. This book is a breeze to read, and very enlightening. I'm so tired of ugly code that breaks all the time, so I was hoping to be persuaded that TDD really is the best way to "write clean code that works." This book definitely persuaded me.

The surprising thing was how FUN this book was to read. The author was constantly cracking me up, without wasting too many words on jokes, sounding dorky, or dumbing it down. He just has a writing style that made learning TDD fun and easy.

Here's a good example: "Write the tests you wish you had. If you don't, you will eventually break something while refactoring. Then you'll get bad feelings about refactoring and stop doing it so much. Then your designs will deteriorate. You'll be fired. Your dog will leave you. You will stop paying attention to your nutrition. Your teeth will go bad. So, to keep your teeth healthy, retroactively test before refactoring."

The whole book reads like that!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Test Driven Development.