K's Reviews > Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

F_50x66
Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: readablenonfiction
Recommended to K by: goodreads
Read from February 25 to March 03, 2012

This was a really fun and interesting read for someone who's looking for entertaining non-fiction. My running experience is limited to 10K at the Jerusalem Marathon and 45-minute treadmill stints at the gym, but I still found it fascinating to read about the Tarahumara (a Mexican tribe which runs great distances), some of the crazy American ultrarunners who decide to race with the Tarahumara, the running shoe industry, human running and evolutionary biology, etc.

If I have one complaint it's that the book lacked coherence. It was kind of all over the place, moving around among its various topics. But that actually didn't bother me greatly. I don't even think you need to be a runner to appreciate this book, although it probably helps.

It's always fun to discover light, stimulating non-fiction reads and if you're looking for one, give this a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Run.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Oriyah (new) - added it

Oriyah Nitkin Khaya, where do you live? If the answer is Israel, and you own this book, may I borrow it please?

message 2: by K (new) - rated it 4 stars

K I used to live in Israel but sadly, I no longer live there. Now that I have access to an English public library, most of my books are borrowed at this point. Sorry I can't help you out. Good luck finding the book.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Khaya, I'm glad you can get more library books now!

message 4: by K (new) - rated it 4 stars

K Me too! I miss Israel terribly, but access to the public library has so enhanced my quality of life.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Khaya wrote: "Me too! I miss Israel terribly, but access to the public library has so enhanced my quality of life."

I guess there our always trade offs to places we live, but I'd be lost without a decent public library.

message 6: by K (new) - rated it 4 stars

K I managed via downloadable books and visiting relatives and a commuting husband who were kind enough to keep me supplied with library books, but it was definitely a challenge.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Yes, I remember some of your husband's trips. Do you have a good library near you now?

message 8: by K (new) - rated it 4 stars

K I can't complain. It's a little unpredictable, but I can mostly get the books I want to read. Eventually. Thanks to goodreads, I always have a long list of books I want to read so odds are they'll provide some of them for me.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Yes, think we all have plenty of book's we'd like to read. I can't really get ILL from my library but we have a sister library program and that helps. Sometimes I'm envious of my NYC friends, but I think I'm relatively lucky where I am.

message 10: by K (new) - rated it 4 stars

K Luckily I do have ILL although it can sometimes take a while. The challenge is actually that my library is sometimes slow about reserving the books I place on hold, even when they're sitting on the library shelf. And that the new books I want to read are usually ordered by the sister library, which means I can't place them on hold for the first several months. But these are really minor complaints, and as you can see from the frequency of my posts, I get plenty of books to read.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan That's frustrating when a book has been put on reserve but the record still says on shelf. That happens to me only rarely. I don't usually get sister library books calendar year of publication but occasionally a few slip through.

message 12: by Oriyah (new) - added it

Oriyah Nitkin B"H the book situation has improved greatly here - there are now websites that ship books overseas for FREE and their prices are comparable to other sites, (new and used books) so I can pretty much get any book I want. The problem is more that I own too many books already and would rather read BEFORE I buy.
It's understandable that you are glad to have the library. But Israel misses you - may you be blessed to return soon.

message 13: by K (new) - rated it 4 stars

K Wow -- how wonderful that you've found good resources for books! But I agree -- aside from the expense, there aren't a lot of books you'll want to read more than once and it doesn't make sense to just keep buying them; borrowing is more practical.

Amen to your blessing -- from your mouth to God's ears! I would love nothing more than to return for good asap.

message 14: by Oriyah (new) - added it

Oriyah Nitkin When it happens, IY"H soon, please come join me for tea.

message 15: by K (new) - rated it 4 stars

K You got it! Looking forward.