Audrey's Reviews > I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: man-love
Read from February 25 to 26, 2012

3.5-4 stars.

I laughed. I cried. I cringed at the numerous editing oversights. That pretty much sums it up.

Don't let the title fool you. This is actually a very good book that benefits greatly from its funny, tongue-in-cheek, honest main narrator, Ryan. His account of basic combat training/boot camp - and his impossible crush on his drill sergeant - is engrossing. The friendships and bonds that he made during basic combat training with the others in his squad are lifelong, and I loved seeing the other characters and how they developed later on in the story.

Structurally, the book focuses on the basic combat training for the first ~40%, then moves forward five years through letters between the friends, picking back up around 2006. We then see the group of friends reunited, and Ryan and his drill sergeant, Phillip, are now in a position (heh!) to pursue seriously their mutual attraction for each other. They date and are basically hunky dory until they are deployed (in the same unit) around 80% into the story. The narrative POV shifts away from the two main heroes at that point to take the POV of one of the secondary characters who is still "back home" and stays with that character up until about the last 10%, at which point we go back to the main heroes. That was an interesting choice, and I wasn't sure how I felt about getting into another character's head at the time. Looking back, I think it worked.

Note that, unless you were in the military or memorize acronyms for shits and giggles, you will probably need this Wikipedia list of U.S. government and military acronyms or this Acronym Finder website to help you figure out the meanings of the multiple acronyms that are scattered throughout the narrative.

Basically, I really liked this story, but the editing issues detracted from my overall enjoyment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier.

02/25/2012 page 131
23.0% "I can't believe I'm reading a book titled "I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier," and I can't believe how much I'm liking it."
02/25/2012 page 203
36.0% "Oh, interesting. It's been third person limited from Ryan's POV all this time. Suddenly, we're getting Phillip's POV. Not sure how I feel about this turn of events..."
02/25/2012 page 349
62.0% "This is muuuuuch better than I expected. The editing leaves something to be desired, but the characters are great." 2 comments
02/25/2012 page 499
88.0% "Wow. Excuse me while I wipe a tear from my eye. No joke."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant OMG - I'm sure there are a billion jokes hiding in that title, I'll be back when I think of one. LOL. ;D

Audrey It was actually a really good story! Color me surprised! :)

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Thanks for the head's up on the editing issue. I know it makes me a humorless stickler, but I can't enjoy a story if the grammar's shit and I spend my time wondering about the educational level of the author.

Audrey Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "Thanks for the head's up on the editing issue. I know it makes me a humorless stickler, but I can't enjoy a story if the grammar's shit and I spend my time wondering about the educational level of ..."

I totally TOTALLY understand. I'm anal retentive about that stuff, so while it wasn't as bad as some others that I've read, there were some things that just seemed SO basic that should have been caught by any halfway decent editor. For example, at one point, the colors of the heroes' eyes were switched. "DSG" and "SSG" were used interchangeably for a while in the beginning (when I think they are different ranks, right?). Some wrong word usage. Some typos. That sort of thing.

Not the worst I've seen, but enough for me to notice that there were more than usual.

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) You gotta wonder if these authors ever re-read their stuff, slowly and carefully. It doesn't take an editor to catch the basic goofs and inconsistencies. :-\

Audrey Yeah, I wonder if it's the case of being "too close" to the document. They see it SO much that they just overlook the details and instead look at the story. Or something? Sometimes when I'm drafting an agreement, I need to walk away for an hour or two before rereading it. When I get back, I see stuff that wasn't obvious before.

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) That's what I always did before I posted a fanfic chapter. I'd finish it, leave it for a day or two, then re-read it and catch some typos and goofs. Years later, I re-read them and find only 1 or 2 things that eluded me multiple times. Usually dumb shit like "were" and "where". :p