Ensiform's Reviews > The Greedy Bastard Diary: A Comic Tour of America

The Greedy Bastard Diary by Eric Idle

Feb 25, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in November, 2006

Idle went out, not exactly as a one-man show, but to do some stand-up for the first time, leavened with old Python skits and songs. It’s a fairly amusing book; Idle tosses out hoary old one-liners and amusing anecdotes with equal alacrity (and some land more squarely than others). I found it okay reading, but ultimately unsatisfying. Idle puts in personal reminisces, purple prose descriptions of the scenery of each new place, a few observations on the pressures of putting on a show, and a bit about his own life (school, friendship with George Harrison, etc, his family).

Unfortunately, in being all these things, the book is none of them. I would have loved to read Idle’s comical take on what the real ins and outs, in detail, of what it’s like to live out of a bus and put on a new show every night. I also might have enjoyed Idle’s full autobiography told as a series of anecdotes. But this book is neither of those things; it’s half of them plus a little bit of filler (“I'm trying to earn enough to get my daughter through college and my wife through collagen” --- hoo boy). Idle is a likeable narrator, but this book smacks of scant effort.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greedy Bastard Diary.