L's Reviews > Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions

Our Iceberg Is Melting by John P. Kotter

U 50x66
Oct 31, 11

bookshelves: below-average
Recommended for: Those who can not think explaining it to those who can not lead.

They need to stop killing trees for these kinds of books, even if they are used in 'board rooms and leadership committees'.
With the rise of the jejune, it makes me wonder if people who received MBA's in grad school are those who changed degrees after they failed basket weaving classes.
A note for those in US board rooms and leadership committees who initiate cruel and unusual punishment by forcing others to share in your literary high wierdness:
If there are a number of elementary school level books that discuss change, then is change actually possible when there is no shortage of newly published reflux in this genre? If a person in your organization does not 'get the message' the first time -- then how is another simpleton leadership book about Willy the Sloth or Timmy the Train going to convince them otherwise?
That being the case, then there is nothing else to be done with your staff development plans but to take the obvious plunge: if you want to explain teamwork through dribble and simple activity -- buy the first few seasons of The Tele-Tubbies on video. Admit it, this is what US corporate culture has become, because this is where your leadership took them.

If your iceberg is sinking, Mr. Organizational Man, then consider taking this advice from a band called Tool: Learn to Swim.

Update 10/2011 Did not do much to keep you out of the recession when your profits would melt.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Iceberg Is Melting.