Larry Crane's Reviews > Word of Honor

Word of Honor by Nelson DeMille

Mar 20, 12

Read from February 25 to March 21, 2012

Reading the other reviews of Word of Honor I see that most people who did not go to Vietnam as a serviceman conclude that most of those who did go experienced the very worst of that chapter of our history, the period after 1968 or so when the people back home had turned against the war and against those who were fighting it, and when drugs and cynicism among the troops was rampant. It's a skewed perspective. Most of the people who spent time in VN in the service don't talk much about it because very few people are interested enough to hear about a war experience that doesn't conform to their "Apocalypse Now" , "Platoon", or "Forest Gump" influenced rendition.
Demille sticks to a calm, detached narrative that reveals the truth about the massacre in Hue. He clearly enjoys the intricasies of civilian and military law, sometimes to excess. Veterans could quibble about some details. But, Word of Honor captures the ambiguity and sense of failure that surrounds the Vietnam War.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Word of Honor.

03/16/2012 page 500
57.0% "This is a big book in a lot of ways. The story unfolds at a deliberate pace. DeMille explores all of the nuances. Obviously, I like it."