Kat O'B's Reviews > Tithe

Tithe by Holly Black

Jul 26, 08

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in July, 2008

I got this book from the library as I generally like fantasy and fairy tales. This author, Holly Black, also co-authored the Spiderwick Chronicles, which I did enjoy.

As for Tithe, I think the idea for the plot is good- the teenage misfit who discovers that she is, after all, a faery. However, I felt the teenage characters were all a little too unbelievable- all they did was smoke and drink and Kaye had't attended school for several years. Perhaps the problem is that the reader never saw what the teens were doing the rest of the time other than Kaye, who did basically nothing. I didn't feel a real connection with Kaye, and I found her to be an apathetic "human." Thus, it was not believable when she transitioned into a brave and heroic faery. I also found Kaye's connections with Corny and Roibin to have developed rather suddenly to be realistic.

I did enjoy Black's vision of the faery world, and Kaye's shedding of her human skin to show her true green was a nice touch. Overall, it was ok. Corny's masochistic infatuation with the dark knight was at least believable, but perhaps ups the ante on this otherwise bland fantasy story such that it would not be appropriate for rather young readers who liked Spiderwick (those readers often start in 2nd-3rd grade- Tithe is definitely YA because of language, sexual innuendo, etc).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tithe.