Laura's Reviews > The Prophet

The Prophet by Amanda Stevens

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: netgalley
Read in February, 2012

I have to say Amanda Stevens is really good at keeping you guessing while reading her books. I loved book one in The Graveyard Queen series, The Restorer, it was one of my favorites I read in 2011. I enjoyed book 2, The Kingdom as well, but felt it wasn't really connected to the series. I missed Devlin. A lot. Well, in this book, #3 in the series, Amelia Gray has returned home. And in doing so, has returned to Devlin. Whether she wants to or not. But, it isn't what you would expect of a romance novel reunion. There is a lot of tension between them, a lot of secrets, a lot of unanswered questions. As they struggle with both his ghosts and their pasts, a lot of new complications get thrown in as well.

This is where Ms. Stevens lost me for a while. It got a little too out there, with ghosts and weird African voodoo magic, and I struggled to relate to anyone or anything for a while. I think we were left out of the loop for too long and I became increasingly frustrated with all that I didn't understand. Luckily, that feeling didn't last too long, and I was more than captivated with the last few chapters. I still felt a bit lost after I finished, and because of that I'm very happy to hear that there will be another book in the series. I wanted a bit more closure and resolution, and hopefully that's what we'll get.

In a world where it is difficult to find a unique story to tell, Amanda Stevens does a very good job at doing just that. For that, as well as the bond you're sure to develop with both Amelia and Devlin (and maybe even a ghost or two), I highly recommend The Graveyard Queen series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophet.