Jessica (a GREAT read)'s Reviews > Faery Tales & Nightmares

Faery Tales & Nightmares by Melissa Marr

Mar 06, 12

Read from March 05 to 06, 2012

Melissa Marr's Faery Tales and Nightmares was quite the read! Filled with short stories I decided to break the review into short segments about each tale.

This one was a little odd, it was only 2 pages long. Yet the little bit of story we had was interesting. A character is running for their life. And there's a sense of danger, but not much else in known.

Rating 3/5 stars

A nice little vampire story! These vampires have a different set of rules and one vampire will go to any lengths to be able to break them. It was a little confusing at times, it felt like there was some unknown, unsaid event that is only briefly mentioned that pertains to the story. But still it was pretty darn good! The ending was killer!

Rating 4/5 stars

I really liked this one! It was about selkies--selchies--and it had a nice look into the mythology. Or at least Melissa's twist on it! It was great! A nice little story about love blossoming and all that!

Rating 5/5 stars

This was in the Wicked Lovely world, taking place after Ink Exchange. I have to admit that this is one that confused me quite a bit. I just couldn't really follow what was happening. What was the story part and all. It mostly dealt with Irial and his needing to let go of his kingly ways since Niall is now in charge.

Rating 2.5/5 stars

This also takes place after Ink Exchange, and I've read it in another anthology--can't remember which one. But it deals with Leslie and Niall and Irial. They have the strangest relationship, yet it seems to work. It's really beautifully written I think. Leslie seems to have developed an enemy who threatens to expose her Fae friends if she doesn't pay up.

Rating 4/5 stars

Another odd, short little tale. I can't be entirely sure what was meant to be told in this story. A man and his daughter live in this village. And they and the people of the village, are very close knit. They never seem to leave the village, then one day a stranger comes to town...

Rating 3/5 stars

Another very short tale. This was also bizarre. Basically we see how far a girl will go to be pretty.

Rating 3/5 stars

Set in the Wicked Lovely world as well, possibly after Radiant Shadows. This one is about Rabbit and it was quite intriguing. Rabbit is trying to adjust to his new life, but it's hard. He can't seem to find happiness. Then he meets Olivia who asks him an odd question, "what's your name?" And he can't seem to get the answer right. It has a nice little ending too!

Rating 4/5 stars

This takes place after Darkest Mercy. Seth comes to Niall and asks him for a favor. Seth has been summoned by his human parents. They need his help. Not knowing what he's about to get into, Seth asks for Niall to accompany him. They are not totally prepared for what they are about to encounter...and gain.

Rating 3.5/5 stars

This also takes place after Darkest Mercy, and I, again, read this before in another anthology. Donia and Keenan go on vacation. To get away from it all. Keenan longs to take the test so he can be Fae again and be with Donia forever, yet she's hesitant, because she knows what the test can do to a person having taken it herself. The trip is meant for them to just be together and relax. Although they encounter a problem, humans and exposure.

Overall rating 4/5 stars
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faery Tales & Nightmares.