Carrie's Reviews > Beyond His Control

Beyond His Control by Stephanie Tyler

Mar 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: category-romance, contemporary, friends-to-lovers, law-enforcement, manipulative-friends-family, read-2012, seal-military, suspense
Read on March 05, 2012

35 cents at ubs.

3.5* Grade B-

I realized as I started reading this that I'd read one of the earlier books in this trilogy and enjoyed it. For the small size, Tyler does a good job of packing in a very tense and exciting suspense plot. Of course this is a Blaze, so you expect the over-the-top sexual attraction and descriptions of tingling body parts. That's okay because you know what you're getting when you pick up one of these titles.

This book was better than average and I enjoyed almost the entire story. I understood Ava's reluctance to get involved with someone with a dangerous job. The author did a good job showing that and not just describing it. But the author lost a star when she couldn't find a way out of that dilemma believably. My eyes started rolling when all the women in these SEALs lives get together for a mutual admiration meeting where they comment on each others awesome awesomeness. And then they explain to Ava how they cope with the stress of having husbands who might never come home. (view spoiler)

I have a great deal of respect for the wives and husbands whose spouses put themselves in danger for others. Not just the special forces people, but police, firemen, and all military personnel. I think Tyler might have been able to come up with a way to promote the quiet strength of otherwise "ordinary" people who keep it together and provide that safe place for their spouses while they wait for their safe return.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond His Control.