Shirley Schwartz's Reviews > The Vault

The Vault by Ruth Rendell

Feb 29, 12

Read from February 25 to 28, 2012

I am sad that we're getting to the end of Reg Wexford. I have been reading this series for many, many years, and I have always loved. it. In this book, Reg is newly retired, and he and his unflappable wife Dora are dividing their time between their house in Kingsmarkham and a converted carriage house in London. Reg has been enjoying his retirement, but does find that time sometimes hangs heavy on his hands. When he is asked by a former subordinate who is a DCI in London to help with a cold case he jumps at it. Four bodies are found in an underground culvert in the yard of an old and infamous house. And three of them had been there for at least 12 years. The fourth body had only been there for about two. It's difficult for Wexford to piece together who the bodies are, why they are there and why has one body only been there for two years. I found that a retired Wexford is just as enoyable as a full DCI Wexford. He's still as sharp as a tack and he uncannily knows People and what makes them tick. Ms. Rendell is a master novelist and no one can touch her in plot building; or in character building either for that matter. I really enjoyed this book and am sad to be coming to the end of Wexford's long and storied career.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vault.