Book Twirps's Reviews > Ten

Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Sep 18, 12

Read in September, 2012

A house party on an isolated island. A raging storm. A mysterious DVD with an ominous message. A power outage. Ten teens trapped with no way to escape. And a dead body. It’s the perfect set-up for a fun whodunit that would make Agatha Christie proud. In fact, it’s pretty much a re-telling of her classic mystery And Then There Were None (Ten Little Indians), but for teens.

I was kind of a weird kid, I read pretty much anything I could get my hands on. I’ll never forget reading a copy of Ms. Christie’s book when I was no more than twelve years old. I was spending the weekend with my grandmother and I found a copy tucked away on a shelf in the basement. I curled up and read the book, hiding it from her whenever she would enter the room so she wouldn’t fuss at me. Thus began my infatuation with murder mysteries and spurred my love/hate relationship with all things horror related.

When I first heard about this book, I was very excited. I loved Ms. McNeil’s Possess, and I was excited to see what she would do with this. I wasn’t disappointed. While I wasn’t creeped out, or even surprised by the ending, it was still well-executed and well-written. I’m well above the targeted age range for this book, and I’m sure a lot of teens may not be familiar with the original, so they will probably find the twists and turns surprising.

The book is well plotted and follows the murder mystery format to a T: Introduce the characters/setting, a mysterious occurrence, a strange message, the first body is discovered, all hell breaks loose, fingers are pointed, red herrings abound and the killer is revealed with a twist. It’s a tried and true formula that works well when executed properly and Ms. McNeil does a fine job.

While I did have a few problems with it (I thought the teens were a little too reluctant to face the fact that they were being hunted — the clues were blatantly obvious to me), I realize that this may have had something to do with the fact that I’ve read a lot of mysteries over the years, so my version of “the obvious” may differ from others. I also didn’t feel like I completely connected with any of the characters, but then again, that could just be me.

I would highly recommend this one to fans of mysteries/thrillers. Even if you don’t like slasher movies, I would give this one a try. This book is light on the scares and blood. It’s more about figuring out who the killer is and why. It’s a quick read and an engaging mystery.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten.

09/12/2012 page 102
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele Love the review! I've had this in my TBR list forever. I may need to bump it higher on my list now! : )