Dave Lester's Reviews > The Marketing of Evil: How Radicals, Elitists and Pseudo-Experts Sell Us Corruption Disguised as Freedom

The Marketing of Evil by David Kupelian

M_50x66
Feb 25, 12

bookshelves: politics-current-affairs, social-commentary, theological-issues
Read in February, 2012

Oh boy...where to begin. This is one awful, knee-jerk reactionary book from right wing author, Daniel Kupelian. In this work, he manages to rail against multi-culturalism, people who dress in saggy pants and youth pastors who talk in jive. I don't even know where to begin in talking about how pathetic this whole work is.

Going into this book, I thought the work would be an interesting read. After all, the title "The marketing of evil" implies the author exploring how the media (or perhaps different groups) package messages in order to try and get the ideas into the American mainstream. If this actually was the main thrust of the book, I would have found it more interesting.

However, the author proceeds to go on a far right tirade against the usual suspects: gays, America being a Christian nation, abortion, multiculturalism, the media being liberal, public schools collapsing, the break down of the family, and how rock n roll is evil.

In all honesty, there are a few interesting parts. The chapter about gay rights revolves around how two well-educated homosexuals from Harvard completed a blue print for making gay people more mainstream and acceptable in the work "After the Ball". The author quotes extensively from this book. The interesting part of this chapter is the strategy for how they did this. If the book would have followed this pattern, then it would have fared much better.

The rest of the book certainly demonstrates how Mr. Kupelian lives in a box of his own philosophy. He complains that "liberal elites" in schools now bash Christopher Columbus and the founding fathers and make them out to be bad people. I'm sure this is probably the case in some quarters but what exactly is Mr. Kupelian arguing? Does he not want the truth about our founding fathers told? That most of them owned slaves or that slavery was a huge part of the beginning of America and is enshrined in the Constitution. I would argue, as a Christian, that the truth always needs to be told as devoid from agendas as possible (this may be impossible but we have to make an effort).

The author also insists this is a Christian nation. America is NOT a Christian nation. We have religious freedom and Christianity undeniably had an influence in our country's history but there is no way our government is Christian or should be Christian. (For a great book on this topic, see "American Gospel" by Jon Meacham).

The sad thing is that I probably agree with some of Mr. Kupelian's points. I'm committed to a pro-life position. Biblically, I view homosexuality as a sin (but politically believe that people should be free from government interference in their family lives). I just in so disgusted with how this information is presented with shoddy research, obviously biased sources, and not even compelling arguments. It is really that bad.

The most disturbing thing of all is that Mr. Kupelian seems to imply that anyone who thinks differently than him is evil. A part of some evil conspiracy that is taking over America. This guy needs to stop drinking the Kool-aid.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marketing of Evil.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra Thanks for the warning. Seems like you seem to think it was worth reading even though it was awful?