Sidna 's Reviews > The Hot Rock

The Hot Rock by Donald E. Westlake

F_50x66
Feb 25, 12

Read in February, 2012

When John Dortmunder is released from prison, he falls in with an old friend who has a plan to make a large amount of money from stealing an emerald belonging to a poor African country. The emerald has been taken by another small African nation and is on display. The friend tells Dortmunder that the rightful owner of the emerald will pay a fortune for its return. Through a series of mishaps,the gang has to steal the emerald not once, but six times.

I decided to read this book because a friend recommended the second Dortmunder book to me and I wanted to start with the first book in the series. I have to say that I was disappointed. The writing was fairly simple, but I found all the plot twists to be tedious. The book is supposed to be humorous, but I didn't find it to be that funny. I am not sure that I want to read the second book.

I thought the title sounded like the title of an old movie so I looked it up online. I was amazed to see that no only had it been made into a movie, but the movie starred Robert Redford as Dortmunder and George Segal as Kelp. Must have been the one Redford movie I missed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hot Rock.