Maxine's Reviews > The Retribution

The Retribution by Val McDermid

5208303
Feb 25, 12

Read in February, 2012

In The Retribution , Jacko Vance, who had murdered 17 teenaged girls in an earlier book, has broken out of prison and is seeking retribution against the people who put him there. His main targets are psychologist and profiler Tony Hill and Carol Jordan, who led the police unit who captured Vance. Tony and Carol are two damaged souls who have a long-standing but troubled relationship.

At the same time that the team are trying to recapture Vance, they are investigating a string of prostitute murders. Each murder is different but the killer marks each victim with the word 'mine'.

Overall, although I am not a huge fan of thrillers, I enjoyed The Retribution. I have only two criticisms: I would have liked a little more story about the prostitute murders as it got somewhat shortchanged against the Vance narrative and, second, the end of both plots seemed a bit rushed and, in the case of Vance, it seemed to come, well, a little out of left field.

Still, I would highly recommend this book to fans of McDermid and to readers of mysteries and thrillers in general. Author McDermid is a real wordsmith and knows how to keep a plot moving while introducing new characters and storylines or reintroduces old ones. If you have never read any of the other books in the series (this is the seventh), don't worry, even though The Retribution revives an old villain, it can be read as a standalone.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Retribution.