Jenn O'Brien's Reviews > The Teashop Girls

The Teashop Girls by Laura Schaefer

2054052
Mar 01, 12

Read from February 25 to 29, 2012

I stumbled across this book when it first came out. I went to an author reading at one of the local bookstores. Unfortunately, the book has been sitting in my To Be Read pile since that time. However, I discovered that chilly, rainy, wishing for spring to come weather is perfect for teashop reading.

This is a cute story for a middle school aged girl. It shows all the “you go girl” attitude that you would want in a spunky pre-teen. She has her aggravations of a typical tween - issues with growing up, figuring out her friendships, starting to like boys and getting ready to move from the middle school into high school.

My only caveat to reading this is: make sure you live in Madison, Wisconsin, or you are familiar with the area. There are A LOT of local references. If I didn’t live here (and work near the neighborhood where the story is set), I would have no idea what the author was talking about. I think it might help readers if there was a little more explanation to some of the Madison-specific citations.

Being a tea devotee myself, I really enjoyed the tea quotes at the beginning of each chapter and the tea advertisements and recipe snippets sprinkled through the book. And being a maker of constant lists, I appreciated that addition to the story as well.

If you pick this book up, make sure you have a cup of English Breakfast by your side, it makes the experience of reading all the more enjoyable. The only thing missing for me was a really good scone and some lemon curd.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Teashop Girls.