Madelaine's Reviews > How to Make Books: Fold, Cut & Stitch Your Way to a One-of-a-Kind Book

How to Make Books by Esther K. Smith

Feb 25, 12

Read in February, 2012

This is a book that will make you want to make more books. It's maybe not the best resource for how to go about that in a perfect, professional manner, but it will for sure ignite the spark. Flipping through the first section reminded me of why I started making zines way back in high school, and gave some simple formats for beginners such as the beloved 8-page-book. What makes it so great is the more than beginner results Smith gets from these basic structures. Later chapters get a little more complicated, with multi-signature binding and the like. By the end I wanted to jump back into making art books, and actually immediately started working on a few.

How to Make Books is fabulous little piece of inspiration. It's more about how to get you making books you like right now than it is a technical volume. For that I recommend Books, Boxes & Portfolios by Franz Zeier, the Thames and Hudson Manual of Bookbinding, or any of Keith A. Smith's excellent volumes.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Make Books.