Story Lover X's Reviews > Ratfist

Ratfist by Doug TenNapel

Dec 25, 13

bookshelves: graphic-novel, 2012
Read from February 26 to March 09, 2012

ARC provided by NetGalley.

I usually like superhero stories. I even like satires. Ratfist has both of those things so it should be a fun read, right?

Unfortunately, I was let down. I can't really say that Ratfist was bad because it really wasn't. It's just that I'm obviously not the target audience for it.

I don't read satire that often so going back to it in a comic format was an interesting experience. However, like I said before, I'm not the intended audience for Ratfist. People who read superhero comic books and those who have a little interest in politics will more than likely enjoy this comic. I personally have no interest in either of those things which I think the reason why I wasn't impressed by this comic.

I think the biggest flaw of Ratfist is that, in my opinion, it fails to grab different kinds of audiences. It has funny moments, but only those who are hard-core comic fans will really get it. I don't usually get bored reading comics, but unfortunately I bored with reading this comic. I thought the story dragged on for too long mostly because it had too much text which I don't take as a good thing in comics. I understand in some parts it was done on purpose and it was funny when I understood it.

I didn't understand what the story was satirizing which is why I felt that the story overall was a huge mess Yes I know in most superhero stories thing don't always make sense, but here I thought it was a little bit too much. I thought some parts of the story was too stupid, like the tail thing which was a little bit too silly. Again, I know it supposed to be, but it didn't quite work for me.

I didn't enter this comic expecting a compeling superhero story. I wanted something entertaining and at some parts I was entertained. The art is unique in its own way, but in the end nothing special.

In the end, I found Ratfist an interesting read despite its flaws. I think it's a shame because Ratfist could have been so much better if it had the appeal for a wider audience. I'd say if you're a hardcore comic book fan, you should check this one out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ratfist.

02/27/2012 page 50