James's Reviews > Snow White

bookshelves: own, 2012-read
Read in March, 2012

On page 23, this small piece of paper fell onto my chest:

Hello Mr. Luscome!

It was in perfect condition: crisp and smooth and creaseless and of consistent colour with no fading. Considering its state, I assume it had been in the book, untouched, since 1985, strongly implying that the book hadn’t been opened in 27 years. I found it in a Goodwill by my parents’ house in a dirty mid-sized town five hours south from the card’s origins in Kingston.

I wonder if this Mr. Luscombe is still alive. whitepages.ca shows a Luscombe at a different address. Should I call him and ask if it’s the same Mr. Luscombe? And if so, thank him and tell him I liked the book? Should I ask about the path it took from Kingston? Is this creepy? I think Don B. would be okay with it.
16 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow White.

06/06 marked as: read

message 1: by Shovelmonkey1 (last edited Mar 24, 2012 04:13PM) (new)

Shovelmonkey1 I admire you both for your curiosity and your long term stalker potential. Bravo.

message 2: by s.penkevich (new)

s.penkevich That is cool, hope you went through with it!

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick Craske Barry wrote: "oh my god fucking do this, you're in an Auster novel!"

I hope you followed the trall too.

message 4: by Rod (last edited May 30, 2015 05:04AM) (new)

Rod See my status update for Marguerite Young's Angels in the Forest, you're not the only one with such burning curiosity about books' former owners. I also Google-mapped the address to see what the house and neighborhood looked like.